November 20, 2013

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 11/20/13

Go-to Oxymoron.

Used in a sentence:  "It looks like it's time to change up my go-to oxymoron."

You have one, don't you?  You know, it's what you say any time oxymoron comes up in a conversation -- and, depending on the company you keep, sometimes that's pretty often, right?

I used to always go to "military intelligence" as my oxymoron example, but now with two nephews actively serving [one of whom I'll see with wife and child next week at Indy Tgiving {note child = puppy at this time} and one of whom I'll only be seeing in the Facebook sense as he will be giving thanks somewhere in Deutschland], I now feel guilty casting aspersions on the military industrial complex.

Thankfully, in stepped the local "Walmart Express", which will be my new go-to oxymoron, as I can assure there's nothing express about the one around the corner (plus they don't sell walls, but that's just piling on).  Additionally, I can use the same place for my go-to irony example, as I'm pretty sure that the employees there are all hustlers outside of work who don't know how to hustle on the job.  There's rarely more than one person checking people out (although, due to its location in the 'hood, most people in the establishment [whether customer or employee] are busy "checking people out" in the "get your creep on" sense]), and that one person does seem to work as if he or she can stretch out one transaction as long as possible, perhaps his or her shift will be over.

Bottom line -- it sounds like I have another establishment in the 'hood to boycott (so for those of you at home keeping a running score, I'm adding it to the list that includes the Subway near Clark and Belmont that impolitely rushed my selection of cheese for my work colleague's sandwich a few years back [see Shannon SD, I *never* forget] ... and the 7-11 next to Wrigley whose security guard with the gangland tattoos was a little too aggressive the day I parked there and made a purchase and walked too slowly to the car to leave [someone else in my party was at the Starbucks next door, and we were leaving together, despite the guard's overtures that I must leave immediately] ... and a few soulless people who once were in my life [that's soulless as in "without a soul" not soleless as in "needing shoes", because, after all, it's just sad to see people without shoes in this kind of climate] ... and the Wells Fargo in Evanston [for reasons outlined in my Jan 2013 post below]).

IN CASE YOU WANT TO FIND YOUR OWN GO-TO OXYMORON:
http://www.oxymoronlist.com/

SPOT THE HUSTLERS IN THIS PHOTO FROM WHEN THE PLACE OPENED:
http://chicago.racked.com/archives/2011/11/30/walmart-express-is-now-open-in-lakeview.php

THE LAST TIME I MADE PUBLIC MY BOYCOTT LIST:
http://capcognition.blogspot.com/2013/01/random-soapbox-for-saturday-11213.html

No comments:

Post a Comment