January 12, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 1/12/13

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... it's time for me to dust off my "boycott" list and add a vendor to it.

Let me back up a bit.  Since my father passed earlier this month, I'm getting new perspective on a few things.  For instance, there's a new nagging voice in the back of my head that keeps on suggesting I improve my health. I guess, generationally, once your papa passes, you kind of move up in the queue.  And, in another area where I'm seeing clarity, it's time for me to fully embrace my curmudgeonly side -- you know, to carry on the family name when it comes to being an "angry old man".

By the way, my boycotts are micro and very local in scale.  So far there's that Subway near Clark and Belmont that impolitely rushed my selection of cheese for my sandwich a few years back (oh yeah, I neither forgive nor forget some grievances) ... and the 7-11 next to Wrigley whose security guard with the gangland tattoos was a little too aggressive the day I parked there and made a purchase and walked too slowly to the car to leave (someone else in my party was at the Starbucks next door, and we were leaving together, despite the guard's overtures that I must leave immediately).  I've even been known to boycott actual people who were in my life -- but only after first checking to make sure that they are truly as soulless as I came to learn they were (that's soulless as in "without a soul" not soleless as in "needing shoes", as everyone in this climate needs shoes!).

So ... added to the list ... the WellsFargo branch in Evanston, where I went earlier this week to wrap up the affairs of my father and to close his account.  At least -- that was my intention.  Instead, I ended up raising my voice to the bank employee named Bukake (and a rant within a rant here -- expecting parents everywhere, can you please make a commitment to using the google search prior to choosing to name your child something exotic sounding and unique on the off chance that the word already has a meaning that might be unbeknownst to you [warning -- if you are unfamiliar, google at your own risk]), as she and I disagreed on what action I could take that day without a death certificate (copies of which are on their way to Chicago, but I wanted to get a head start on paperwork while I still had off work).

I get it that I may have been in the wrong by not bringing everything I needed to the bank with me, and I probably should not have yelled about the bank standing on form (which they SHOULD have done when they were busy playing a role in hastening the onset of the Great Recession, in my opinion) instead of finding a way to work with me to reach a service resolution (after all, I opened it with him in absentia).  And the outburst I exclaimed in my best actorly projected voice about the shame that everyone in the building should feel about how they were all so desperately hanging on to my dead father's last eight cents may have been a little over the top and slightly dramatic (hey -- this process is stressful, and Wells Fargo employee named Bukake, you didn't really show any sensitivity to my situation ...).

Ultimately, here's the reason you're going on my boycott list ... you handled this situation from a place of "no", and, quite simply, that's not the right way to go about dealing with someone as mildly unsettled as I am. Wells Fargo Evanston -- you are on my list!

I AM NOT ALONE IN MY DISSATISFACTION:
http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.cgi?id=82063

NO REALLY -- I AM NOT ALONE:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/wells-fargo-bank/banks/portland-oregon-7ab71.htm

UMMM ... THIS IS ITS OWN COTTAGE INDUSTRY!:
http://wellsfargowarning.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment