October 30, 2016

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 10/30/16

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

... the upcoming election.

With so few days left, it's (potentially past) time for me to provide my endorsements.

For a total of four weeks (the past two, this one and next week), I'm going to go lay out those for whom you should vote (whether people or amendments) here in my state (in my humble opinion, of course).  Since I'm obviously saving the big national one for next week, it's time to address one that is only for this county.


And after careful consideration, I'm going to go on record saying that I support the county wide proposal to increase sales tax by a penny, half of which will go to the county and half of which will go to the local governments.


Mind you, I did not come to this decision lightly.  The story of this proposal and how hard it was to get it on the ballot and how much bickering happened prior to it being official almost turned me off.  The worry that the proposal is being presented without very firm and specific plans is a great one.  The fact that money is hard to come by so soon out of the Great Recession is truth.

But here's what changed my mind -- first, the sales tax affects everyone who spends money and is fair in the way that proportional taxes are.  You spend a little money -- you'll contribute a little more.  You spend a lot of money -- you'll contribute a lot more.  You can't get out of it by being too poor or too rich -- EVERYONE will be pitching in.

Additionally, I'm all for funding alternative ways of transportation.  On a personal level, if my half-pennies mean that I'll have safer bike paths, then I'm in.  If your half-pennies mean that you'll be able to get out and about without always having to be in your car (and stuck in increasing traffic), then you should be in.  The future has to start somewhere ... and I'm suggesting that it start with this tax increase.

Note one other bit of trickiness ... this is actually TWO proposals (each for a half penny) and BOTH must pass in order for the tax increase to happen.  As such, I'm really suggesting TWO yeses here.

So sayeth the Troy.  Come back next Sunday for my final piece of guidance ...


A TAX TYPE PRIMER:
http://www.econmentor.com/personal-finance-economics/ssepf3/define-progressive-regressive-and-proportional-taxes/text/1713.html#Define progressive, regressive and proportional taxes

THE OFFICIAL WORD:
http://www.apennyatwork.com/

AN ALTERNATE VIEW:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/endorsements/fl-editorial-broward-sales-tax-boondoggle-20161007-story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment