August 5, 2015

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 8/5/15

'My (big) breasts and ME' or 'my (small) breasts and I'

Used in a sentence:  "According to last night's TVGuide listings (remember ... my name is Troy and I'm a television addict ... so this document is kind of like my Bible), BBCAmerica seems to be confused with the grammar rules as applicable to their back to back programming from last night in that they don't seem to know whether their episodes should have been titled 'My (big)breasts and ME' or 'my (small) breasts and I'.

Grammarians out there should feel free to correct me (but only on this ... not on any of the other rules with which I play fast and loose), but I believe the reason for the confusion might be that the rule over whether it should be "ME or I" when talking about one's bosom depends on the full sentence and not just the stand-alone clause.

Meaning ... it would be correct to say:  "The audience members at the wet T-shirt contest were very friendly to 'my big breasts and ME' after I won", and also correct to say:  "'My small breasts and I' can more easily blend in when skinny dipping with the guys."

But it would be just as correct to say:  "'My big breasts and I' survived when the boat sank due to my extra buoyancy" and "Chicken pox and mosquito bites look gigantic next to 'my small breasts and ME.'"

Or you could go the Oprah route and just change the wording to avoid the grammar quandary.  In lieu of my usual companion links ... here's how her and her OWN people titled a show on the same evening in the same listings that I can only assume was about the very same topic:




No comments:

Post a Comment