August 4, 2015

Random Tune for Tuesday 8/4/15

Courtesy of a notification I got on the interwebs and social media, I'd like to use today's post to join in on the celebration of the 24th anniversary of the music video for *this* classic tune from the boys of Pearl Jam, apparently filmed in Seattle on this day in 1991.

1991!  Boy am I getting old!  (Well, me and all of my friends ...)

I feel it safe to assume that that would have been the year that I heard the tune for the *first* time ... I know with almost certainty that the last time I heard it (well, the last time I heard 'Alive' LIVE anyway) was at the concert almost two years ago in Baltimore around Halloween.

Here's what I had to say about it back then, revived as appropriate for tonight's observance:

"The moment of catharsis that only Pearl Jam can provide came just before that finale, when all the lights came on in the arena, and everyone sang 'Alive', one to another.  Because although many of us couldn't personally relate to the specifics in the lyrics of that song, we all could triumphantly admit, that despite whatever trauma we'd been through individually, as a collective body, at exactly that very moment, with the lights up so that we could look into each others' eyes if we so chose, we all, strangers and friends alike, were individuals who were most definitely 'still alive (yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah)'.  Like the Native American in the classic pollution commercial, it may be that a single tear rolled down my cheek at that moment, although, if asked, I'd have said that it must have just been irritation from the sweet sweet smelling smoke that wafted up through the crowd every so often.  As Eddie said from the stage that night referencing the loss of Lou Reed earlier that day, 'music heals'.  Amen, brother Eddie, amen."

YEAH-YEAH-YEAH-YEAH-YEAH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM0zINtulhM&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment