July 19, 2015

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 7/19/15

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

The Norton Museum of Art in nearby West Palm Beach ... free for Floridians on Thursdays in the summer.

According to the wiki, it's the *largest* museum in Florida, having been founded by Ralph Norton back in the day (which made me think of the Honeymooners, until I remembered that it was Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton ... and that they were fictional characters) ... and it's been expanding ever since.

In the art mix, I did recognize a few big names ... (Matisse, Monet, O'Keeffe. Picasso and Pollock, to alphabetically name drop a few) ... but they also have an extensive collection of Chinese artifacts (including many that had some connection to horses, which surprised me due to my own ignorance) ... AND a modern art section (including one floor to ceiling piece meant to evoke a fat ass ... "commentary" on the ancient art of cat-calling by construction workers).

Another take away ... rich people who paid for portrait paintings in old times had really ugly babies ... just sayin'.

[In lieu of my customary companion links, I'll provide three additional photos to accompany the quote above that spoke to me for some reason (the circular staircase had them all along it up to the third floor) ... one where I tried to mimic the emotion in the brush button lady, and two from a surprise Guinness display in the design exhibit that I now have to have for my collection of all things Guinness.]




No comments:

Post a Comment