April 22, 2015

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 4/22/15

Pari-mutuel pleasures.

Used in a sentence:  "Whilst following the coverage of all the recent welfare-hatin' that was originatin' down in Kansas, I realized that I was completely unaware about why folks were angered over recipients using my moneys for their pari-mutuel pleasures."

I should probably go no further without first saying that I stand for reason, compromise and the middle-ground (which also means that I have absolutely no place in today's political climate of sound bites, stubbornness and extremism [aka the type of class warfare fear mongering that poses as leadership nowadays]).

That being said, I did take a look at the list of items deemed not welfare eligible, and I don't see anything that outlandish -- even the whole style of betting that takes place in pari-mutuel parlors, which is a phrase that I did not know and had to go look up.  I have to say, I thought it would be much more salacious of an activity, what with all the sex and sex-adjacent items on the master list, and not just gambling 101 (personally, I like to limit my vice to overindulging on the Guinness a few times a quarter, so I was blissfully unaware).

So there you go ... I guess, in the end, I agree.  Individuals on public assistance ... if you're going to insist on indulging in pari-mutuel pleasures, then please do so on your own dime!

THE KANSAS LAW (WITH AN ITEMIZED LIST):
http://www.kshb.com/news/state/kansas/new-kansas-rules-would-limit-spending-of-welfare-benefits

AN INTERESTING TAKE ON THINGS (WARNING:  NSFW LANGUAGE HEREIN):
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-4-types-people-welfare-nobody-talks-about/

IN CASE YOU NEEDED A PARI-MUTUEL PRIMER LIKE I DID:
http://www.thesportsgeek.com/sports-betting/horse-racing/pari-mutuel-betting/


No comments:

Post a Comment