April 18, 2015

Random Soapbox for Saturday 4/18/15

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... dear server at the Outback Steakhouse, please learn how to pronounce the food on your menu.  It is /cah-PREHY-zay/ and not /cah-PREEZ/.

You can trust me ... I was once a waiter like you.  Actually, I was thrice a waiter like you (nearly full time at Cherry Tree Cafe in Uniontown, once upon a time for special events at the Lantern Lounge in Myerstown and to close out my food service career at the Golden Sheaf in the Hilton in downtown Harrisburg ... not to mention my stints at McDonald's [where I did a bit of everything] and in the cafeteria at LVC [where I only made grilled cheese sandwiches all shift long ... dozens and dozens and dozens of plain, ordinary grilled cheese sandwiches]).

Here's another tip (in addition to the financial one that I decided in the end NOT to dock) ... if you don't know how to say it, but your customer does, and he says it first, don't be so bold as to correct him with the WRONG pronunciation.  That's just bad form.

Because I don't like to criticize without providing an action step for improvement ... please use the youtube before you embarrass yourself again (see below) ...

THIS MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PLAYING ON A CELL PHONE AS YOU PASSED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv9Kh7OPpLg

REGARDLESS OF PRONUNCIATION, IT WAS PRETTY DARN GOOD:
https://twitter.com/outback/status/568559426644410368

CAPRESE DID *NOT* MAKE THE LIST:
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2011/06/the_20_most_commonly_mispronou.php

No comments:

Post a Comment