January 15, 2015

Random Thought for Thursday 1/15/15

Ok fancy nature documentaries on the PBS ... I find it *comical* when you tell me giraffes give birth standing up such that little giraff-ettes plop from a height of six feet and therefore probably get concussed on their birthdays.

And speaking of concussions, I find it *intriguing* when you clue me in as to how woodpeckers have a tongue that is soooo long it literally wraps back in its skull and around the bird brain so that it WON'T be concussed when it's busy pecking wood rather forcefully.

But I find it downright *unsettling* when you fact-drop that ants and termites make up about 20% of the animal kingdom.  I have seen the alien like trails they leave in the front yard, and to know that, with just the right provocation, they could rise up and take over ye olde Florida homestead, has me shaking in my flipflops.  And scratching.  Because just the thought of them all at full crawl makes my skin itch.

Moving forward, I plan to smile and say hello all neighborly-like every time I see one of your billions so as to stay on your good side.  Or, as the kids say, #bethedging.

SOME SAY THE FACTS ARE "FASCINATING":
http://insects.about.com/od/antsbeeswasps/a/10-cool-facts-about-ants.htm

OTHERS CONSIDER THE FACTS "FRIGHTENING":
http://io9.com/5880539/10-frightening-facts-you-probably-didnt-know-about-ants

ODE TO THE WOODPECKER TONGUE (IT'S OK ... IT'S SFW):
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/10/a-red-bellied-woopeckers-tongue-is-almost-three-times-the-length-of-its-beak-and-wraps-around-its-skull/


No comments:

Post a Comment