December 20, 2014

Random Soapbox for Saturday 12/20/14

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... *I'll* decide when I cross the street, thank you very much.

Look, one of the perks of living in a land where temps rarely stray from the range between the high sixties and the low eighties and the sun shines year round is being able to go for my lunch walks (out and about in the 'hood for an hour in the middle of the day).

However, rest assured that it is not lost on me that this area is *also* one of the highest for pedestrian deaths.

I've mitigated those circumstances by only ambling about during daylight hours ... but I also am keenly aware that day drinking isn't just for alcoholics down in this neck of the sand (I'm assuming that sand can have necks if woods can ...), what with all the vacationers out and about throwing caution to the wind and such.

So bottom line, and clearly I took the long way to get here ... but to the man who motioned for me to cross while he waited at the intersection despite the fact that he had the right of way ... I don't trust you.  I don't know you.  Which means, during that impasse today, you best have kept moving as I'm not about to risk the second half of my life on a game of chicken (assuming I have the good fortune to make it to full male life expectancy ... and, if so, just a side note, but I actually passed my half way point back in 2010 and neglected to properly celebrate).

And I don't care if you gave me a dirty look and yelled at me that you "were just trying to be nice".  The last I checked, the road to hell is paved with good intentions (and I wasn't about to risk having pieces of my body be put into that paving mix).

MY HALFWAY POINT WAS AT YEAR 38.2:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/08/us-life-expectancy-hits-record-high/16874039/

PATHOLOGICAL ALTRUISM (AKA THE ROAD TO HELL PAVED WITH GOOD INTENT):
http://reason.com/blog/2013/06/19/pathological-altruism-the-road-to-hell-r

BECAUSE *EVERYTHING* HAS A HISTORY ... EVEN ASPHALT:
http://www.asphaltpavement.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=41

No comments:

Post a Comment