December 20, 2014

Bonus Post: From the Kap-files #14

From the Kap-files #14:

[I'm nearing the halfway point of this countdown, so surely you know by now that in 14 calendar days, my position is being eliminated at my job, and so I'm looking back through my files, mental or otherwise, representing nearly 11 years with the company ...]

#14: From the actual desk of Troy A. Neidermyer ... my writing utensil caddy (if that's what this thing is called?) with the very same messages still affixed to it that stared at me each day I went to work.  The first item regarding the positioning of the instructor was a shout-out to my nurses-to-be.  Back in the center days, we had various customer types, and those studying for the NCLEX were the most ... let's say ... memorable.  For starters, it took WAY too long for me to figure out why every time we had a special class of over three dozen students, the majority of whom were women, we would always run out of toilet paper on the second day of four long days.  That point aside (which did mean frequent trips across the street to the Walgreen's), I recall fondly the early days of finding these students by travelling with Beth A to Rockford or DeKalb (or down the street to Palatine, with regards to my original center) and to DePaul and Loyola and the city schools in my later one ... and of the special characters I met along the way (I'm looking at you Marlene R) ... and to the students, to whom I replied when one of them complained that she didn't even know who her instructor was ... "the instructor is the person in front of the class" (forever memorialized on that label).

The other message?  Well that came from an honest-to-goodness fortune cookie from the Chinese restaurant next door (shout-out to Yen's!) and was a reminder that my professional development required me to rein in my occasional feistiness and my ... let's say ... creative ... emails for which I was once known.  (Note:  this past behavior in no way influenced my current situation, as I did, indeed, develop professionally through the years [especially after I started this blog to channel my creative energies]).




No comments:

Post a Comment