December 28, 2014

Bonus Post: From the Kap-files #6

From the Kap-files #6:

[ReKap:  In 6 calendar days, my position is being eliminated at my job, and so I'm looking back through my files, mental or otherwise, representing nearly 11 years with the company ...]

#6:  As we approach the end of this countdown, we also transition to how I spent these last few years with the company.  After a transformation in strategy and structure in late 2010, I joined a newly created team that was like a help desk for all internal employees with a side of special projects almost like we were consultants for our division.  And the kicker?  This team was part of the remote workforce ... and so, for the last four years, I've experienced the joy of working from home.

Mind you, there was a learning curve.  I'm pretty sure I gained fifteen pounds just from having the fridge and the pantry so close to enable a grazing habit.  It also took a few months to find the right spot to set up shop (back in Chicago, I created a "murphy office" that was nightstand after hours and the laptop area during the day -- just so I could be by a window).  But eventually I came to embrace all of the perks -- like having amazing flexibility, working from wherever I found myself in my travels, rolling out of bed a minute or two before the work day started, and not always wearing clothes.

All kidding aside ... that arrangement is what enabled me to so easily make the big move earlier this year from Chicago to Florida (after all, I could work from anywhere there was internet) ... AND it's what made adopting the two rescue puppies so easy.  I'm not sure what's ahead for me, but if it's not also "work from home", I know I have an adjustment ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment