December 29, 2014

Bonus Post: From the Kap-files #5

From the Kap-files #5:

[ReKap:  In 5 calendar days, my position is being eliminated at my job, and so I'm looking back through my files, mental or otherwise, representing nearly 11 years with the company ...]

#5:  When discussing the "revolution" of working from home yesterday, I neglected to include one *major* perk.  Because of that change in late 2010, I was introduced to Skype full on.  (We had tried it in the physical offices a little before ... but it really took off in the home office setting.  And I know that young people and Oprah had been doing it for years.)  Skype became the virtual water cooler for our team of experts spread across the country who hadn't really known each other prior to the formation of the group.

But it wasn't just the communication channel that was special ... it was about the emoticons that got to color our chat.  Great was the day that included a notification that your Skype was being updated, and many a side conversation was conducted over the possibility that the update *might* include new options.  And at least once a month, one of us needed to google "hidden Skype emoticons" to make sure we weren't missing ANY from our daily lives.  (And if I could, I'd punctuate this post with the new pooping sheep for effect.)

No comments:

Post a Comment