November 8, 2014

Random Posting for Penn State 11/8/14

Here are 9 Nittany Nuggets from today's game:

1.)  First ... I should probably explain the image accompanying today's post.  I don't know if it was the HD viewing or not, but it sure seemed like the field in Bloomington was awfully super dirty today.  When I headed to the google to find an image for "dirty football field", *this* clip from Dirty Harry was what came back.
2.)  So anyway ... nice to break a streak, even if it did seem like we were all watching punting practice for most of the time.  ;)
3.)  And in the spirit of selective memory and forgetting about this losing streak, that package about the *first* four games of the season was also very nice to watch.
4.)  Mr. Announcerman, there is a big difference between saying that the temps today are in the 80's and that the temps today are in the 40's.  For instance, *I* am in southern Florida, where it is in the 80's.  The game is being played in southern Indiana, which I understand is on the outer edge of Polar Vortex 2.0.
5.)  Speaking of things that were said before the game kickoff, you might know that you have a mild case of OCD if you see the Indiana Marching Hundred on the screen, and your first instinct is to start counting to make sure that they've *really* put 100 bodies on the field.  For instance, if someone was sick today, are there alternates available?  And what if there are 101 quality band kids some year ... do you hold a sudden death flute-off to stay true to your name?
6.)  Speaking of things that were said by the announcermen today, I will admit that I went looking on the interwebs for the Geno Lewis "hair on fire" incident you referenced.  You see, my generation immediately associates that as something literal (thanks to Michael Jackson) ... so I missed the fact that you were using a military idiom.
7.)  I assume the credit goes to Ryan Murphy and his Glee phenomenon, but, week to week, I'm in awe at how much "acting" has become a part of the football game.  I mean sure, I knew it was a big deal in the world of basketball, but such animation over trying to revive a dead ball.  That's commitment to your craft.  Some real method stuff, let me tell you.  (And don't even get me started on the fact that the Indiana QB is the soap actor's son [not that there's anything wrong with that].)
8.)  Dear Indiana football royalty whose name I don't recall ... sorry about that sideline interview, but we've got a 92 yard return for a score to orchestrate ...
9.)  And, of course, it wouldn't be a post of mine on a football Saturday without an "atta boy FICKEN" (or two).  Congrats on your current status tied for 5th for all time Penn State scoring.

In closing, thanks announcermen.  I know I sometimes mock you and threaten to watch the game with the sound off, but I did find it insightful when you mentioned that, with regards to HACKENBERG and the coaching change, it's kind of like his freshperson year all over again.

SORRY BUT THE SKEPTIC IN ME WANTS YOU TO DOCUMENT THAT IT IS 100:
http://www.indiana.edu/~bands/

SORRY BUT WHEN YOU SAY "HAIR ON FIRE", I FIRST THINK OF MR JACKSON:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-04-04/news/0404040403_1_source-of-american-slang-naval-air-museum-foundation-commission-member-recounting-allegations

SORRY BUT IT MAY BE THAT THE ART OF "FLOPPING" IS CONTAGIOUS:
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-09-20/army-wake-forest-player-flop-penalty-stephen-ricciardi

No comments:

Post a Comment