November 28, 2014

Random Flashback for Friday 11/28/14

*What* was I doing on the biggest shopping day of the year twenty years ago in 1994?  (Which, to be clear, was a Friday back then, as the Thanksgiving holiday itself was sacrosanct ... [tsk tsk, capitalism]).

This.  (And no, it was not an audition for the local theatre company's production of Newsies.)

*Where* was I doing it?  At the Uniontown Mall in the bottom corner pocket of PA.

*Why* was I doing it?  Because the lady I refer to as my "surrogate" grandmother lived there (RIP Joanne), and her landlord and former co-worker had an ex-wife who worked at the JCPenneys in town ... and so when they decided they wanted a "town crier" to walk through the mall handing out flyers promoting their sales, I was hired for the task.

I believe there was a good bit of "Extra Extra ... Read all about it!" that was a part of that experience ... but only after a lot of turkey and sparkling white grape juice and ambrosia salad the day before ... aka fond memories of Thanksgivings past.

Let the holiday season begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment