September 17, 2014

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 9/17/14

Chinese Whispers.

Used in a sentence (that should probably come with a disclaimer that most everything I say tonight might be considered racist by some):  "I won't say where I heard it for fear of being judged, but did you know that the game of 'Whisper Down the Lane' aka 'Telephone' is known as 'Chinese Whispers' in places like Melbourne (oh no ... I've probably said too much ... bring on the ridicule)."

Like being told in the office place that I could not order 'Oriental' food any longer because the generation after me decided that that word could only describe rugs (I chose 'Pacific Rim' cuisine instead, and didn't seem to offend anyone) ... or like watching the World War II serialized Batman go after the 'shifty slant-eyes' and knowing that something wasn't appropriate ... I'm going to bow to pressure and choose to NOT refer to that game by that title.

Although, in the spirit of being offensive, why couldn't that photo I found on the google have been of Siamese cats?

TAKE THE POLL AND TURN THE TIDE REGARDING WHETHER IT IS OFFENSIVE:
http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=205267/can-of-worms-is-the-phrase-chinese-whispers-racist-offensive-insulting

THIS HAPPENED A FEW YEARS BACK, IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW:
http://dialectblog.com/2013/09/19/oriental-death-of-a-semi-slur/

TO BE FAIR, THIS RACISM WAS WAR SPONSORED PROPAGANDA:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/erik-lundegaard/the-ethnic-stereotypes-of_b_111426.html

No comments:

Post a Comment