August 28, 2014

Random Thought for Thursday 8/28/14

Being a TV addict, I tend to also read things about TV, including a recent reference to the "Girl Scout Research Institute" study on how reality TV affects young girls.

I know the Girl Scouts from their cookies ... but I had no idea that they also had a "Research Institute".  I'm secretly hoping that the research they do is also done door to door, with little girls in those outfits going around with a clipboard, asking questions of anyone who opens the door, giving single cookies to those who participate.

I also have a strong suspicion that their initial study concluded that boys were made of snips and snails and puppy dog tails and that girls were made of sugar and spice and all things nice, but I haven't been able to prove that one way or the other.

Of course, realistically, it's probably something much less sexist than that ... and I'm sure they do wonderful things ... and, for all I know, they no longer even wear those uniforms any more.  But hey ... I can't help what I think (and I feel compelled to put it on the interwebs for some unknown reason) ...

THE AFOREMENTIONED STUDY:
http://blog.girlscouts.org/2011/10/new-girl-scouts-research-exposes-impact.html

NO REALLY ... IT'S A REAL THING THAT DOES GOOD WORK:
https://www.hngirlscouts.org/girl-scout-research-institute

WAIT A MINUTE ... NOT ALL COOKIES ARE AVAILABLE IN ALL AREAS?:
http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/meet_the_cookies.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment