June 16, 2014

Random Memorial for Monday 6/16/14

Gone but not forgotten:  Alexander Imich.

He died just a week ago, and when he did, he held the title of "world's oldest man".  Born in 1903, he was just over twenty years older than my own father would have been were he still living (which, of course, only serves to illustrate the generation canyon that there was between the two of us).

And God bless anyone whose body hasn't yet given out on them beyond what is an increasing life expectancy age, but I have to tell you ... I'm not sure that I'm aspiring to make it that long (assuming that any number of end of world scenarios fizzle out like the Mayan Apocalypse last year and don't interfere in the first place).  I mean I can take a few more decades -- don't get me wrong -- but I have to think that even modern medical miracles can't really provide a quality of life that I'd really want as a "supercentenarian".

To those in Japan who now hold that title (oldest man and oldest woman) ... more power to them ... and to the one who told reporters that "the aeroplane" was the greatest invention he saw in his lifetime ... you will be missed.

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T SEE THE STORY:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/nyregion/worlds-oldest-man-though-only-briefly-dies-at-111-in-new-york.html?_r=0

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T REALIZE WE'RE ALL GETTING SO MUCH OLDER:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/us-life-expectancy-at-all-time-high/

IN CASE YOU WANTED TO GO TO JAPAN TO SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THESE GUYS:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/06/10/national/japan-now-home-worlds-oldest-man-woman/#.U5-qQfldWSo

No comments:

Post a Comment