May 12, 2014

Random Memorial for Monday 5/12/14

Gone but not forgotten:  the voice of Tony the Tiger.

But not the one you think.

I fully intended to post about the death of Lee Marshall, who was in the news a few weeks ago when he passed as he who said "they're grrrreat" in commercial after commercial.

But then I realized that Lee was the *second* voice of Tony (or third, if you count the guy referenced on Wikipedia who was the Lazenby of this genre), and that he only started proclaiming the superlative nature of the tiny sugar coated breakfast snacks in 2005.  Which means that the voice I heard in the head from my youth (which was decidedly BEFORE 2005) was not Lee but ... it turns out ... Thurl Ravenscroft.

And then, because the internet is all about chasing information down a rabbit hole, I then had my mind blown to find out that old Thurl actually sang "You're a Mean One Mister Grinch" and not Boris Karloff (the Grinch narrator) as I had thought all my life.

So rest in peace Lee, but to the one who was *actually* the voice of Tony the Tiger in my head and who doesn't get the credit deserved for singing "You're a three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich with arsenic sauce" ... Thurl .. you will be missed.

ENTRY TO THE RABBIT HOLE:
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/voice-tony-tiger-lee-marshall-dead-64/story?id=23642532

LED TO THIS DISCOVERY:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/12/the-guy-who-did-the-voice-for-tony-the-tiger-also-sang-youre-a-mean-one-mr-grinch/

AS CUDDLY AS A CACTUS ... AS CHARMING AS AN EEL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxWn-_CzNts

No comments:

Post a Comment