February 5, 2014

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 2/5/14

Smoking or non-smoking?

Used in a sentence:  "I will readily admit that that phrasing is not so much of a play on words EXCEPT that I did think that it was an anachronistic question that just didn't get asked any longer ('cause, you know, that's precisely what anachronistic means ) ... until this trip to southern Florida by way of New Orleans, when I heard "Smoking or non-smoking?" at multiple restaurants and hotels.

Talk about being sheltered by the big city!  I thought it was a foregone conclusion that one needed to exit a public establishment to suck on a tobacco stick   That's certainly de regueur in Chicago -- despite the fact that twice recently, it was more than negative thirty (or is that less than negative thirty?  ... I need someone more mathy than I to weigh in here).

I felt like I was being asked something illegal in a job interview ... shocked at first, and then answering under my breath in case anyone else was listening.  What a time warp!

NOW MY TRIP EXPERIENCES MAKE MORE SENSE:

ANOTHER (MAYBE MORE POWERFUL) VISUAL ON SMOKING OR NON-SMOKING:

ONE MORE SMOKING OR NON-SMOKING RELATED STORY OF LATE:


No comments:

Post a Comment