February 15, 2014

Random Soapbox for Saturday 2/15/14

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... this has been stuck in my craw now for two weeks, ever since the Super Bowl weekend in NOLA that kicked off this fortnight being used to address the big move.

To the gentleman who hissed at us in the vestibule of the St. Louis Cathedral because someone in our party was wearing his baseball cap ... and to the family who cast dispersions on us in the restaurant for not standing during the operafied version of the national anthem as we were wrapping up our meal ... fie on you both for your intrusion into my life and judgement as to me and mine.

First things first ... I have to believe that the God we worship is sufficiently occupied with other things than whether the Cubs got free advertising in that sacred establishment because a chapeau wasn't doffed in time.  This strict adherence to form over substance is so much of what's wrong with those who choose to ignore how the New Testament interfaces with the Old.  And I'm not knocking a proper showing of respect ... but this cathedral is in New Orleans ... and it is promoted as a place for tourists to visit ... and I did put money in the donation box so that good work can be done for Christ's sake.  (That's not me cursing ... that's me saying ... literally ... money that will be spent in doing something for Christ's sake ... something other than policing tourists regarding their head wear.)  Priorities, man ... priorities!

Second things second ... I am more willing to waive my disdain to the family who judged us in the restaurant once I consider the likelihood that you all might have been first generation immigrants who may have originated in a country where nationalistic pride was much more formalized ... but I still didn't need your sideways glances because we didn't stand during the Star Spangled Banner.  Were we physically at the Super Bowl, we might have had a different response ... but this was a restaurant ... and it was a broadcast ... and you were the only ones standing after all.  Which was your right -- but that right ended at my personal space and with my personal decisions to keep on sampling the gumbo, beans and rice, jambalaya, etouffee and fried green tomatoes from a seated position instead of a standing one.

All I'm sayin' ... you be you ... and I'll be me ... and I don't need your opinion about *how* to be me.  Got it?

BEAUTIFUL (HAT ON OR OFF):
http://stlouiscathedral.org/

THE SCENE OF THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER CRIME:
http://www.daisydukesrestaurant.com/

ALL THAT ASIDE, I GUESS MAYBE SHOULD REVIEW THIS LIST:
http://www.emilypost.com/everyday-manners/common-courtesies/479-hats-off-the-who-what-when-where-of-the-hat

No comments:

Post a Comment