January 25, 2014

Random Soapbox for Saturday 1/25/14

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... why in the world is *this* stretch of Irving Park marked as one of the new city radar hot spots to catch speeders?  (If it's part of your drive, know that the warning period has expired and tickets are now being issued as of last Sunday ...)

Look, I get it ...we need money (I guess I can still use the royal "we" for a few more days until the big move) ... and these are easy ways to get coin in the in the coffers.  And I actually like them a little better than the red light cameras, which were just as Orwellian but even more "on the entrapment tip" in my humble opinion ... since anyone who drives in the city knows that you have to get out in the intersection if you want a chance to turn (and that opposing traffic only gives you that chance once your light is red) -- so it ended up being like issuing tickets to fish in a barrel.

Here's the problem I have ... the zones they created were purposefully placed near parks and city schools.  If you can't see from the photo, this hot spot is bordered on BOTH sides ... by cemeteries -- BIG cemeteries.  Ultimately, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.  I mean, we let dead people vote in this city ... so it's only to be expected that those same dead folks get some special protection against speeders, riiiight?

BE INFORMED ... BE READY ... BE SAFE:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zDIlbNW6Kzv4.kWRTNheTjAho

THE DEAD ZONE HOT SPOT:
http://theexpiredmeter.com/tag/chicago-speed-cameras/

EXPECTED TO RAISE 15 MILLION:
http://www.wbez.org/news/big-bark-small-bite-speed-cameras-so-far-109485

No comments:

Post a Comment