January 20, 2014

Bonus Post (Gbye Chicago): Thing 11

50 Things I'll Miss About Chicago:

Thing 11:

Diversifying my life experience.

Despite the fact that Chitown remains one of the most hella-segregated cities in America, I can say that I've gladly been exposed to so many different races, religions, political parties, backgrounds, orientations and creeds since arriving a dozen years ago (which, of course, makes for an interesting Facebook feed).  I sincerely appreciate the well-rounded feeling it gives me, from the soul food potluck dinners we used to have when we worked the holiday at TCF, to my learning first hand about Diwali from co-workers at Kaplan, to explaining daylight savings time and Groundhog Day and Halloween to individuals born internationally ... those are just some of the things I might never have done had I stayed back home in central PA.

COUNTER:  I've walked Ocean Drive in South Beach before, so I know that I can find me some international exposure if I seek it out ... plus, I have a feeling I'm about to get to know every type of Latin that exists under that ethnic umbrella before too long (which I'm counting on ... I like Latins and Latins like me!) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment