December 24, 2013

Random Tune for Tuesday 12/24/13

Merry Christmas Eve!

In the spirit of the holiday, today's random tune-age was something I heard on the Country Christmas Sirius station when out and about in Chicago doing the holiday tradition thing with the family a few weekends ago.

To be fair, I'm not old enough to understand all the references in this song (don't get me wrong ... I can whistle me the opening sequence to the Andy Griffith show ... and I know that Matlock's stint in law enforcement in Mayberry set him up well for his later-in-life law career ... and I get that this is where Richie Cunningham stayed before Mr. and Mrs. C apparently adopted him in an effort to boost ratings because no one was connecting with their older son Chuck) ... but I was struck by how the older folks in the car that day got really serious like and listened attentively to the words of this song.

Up until the part near the end where he talks about how the "sheriff would let the 'guests of the county' go home for Christmas Eve", I have to say I was really getting the nostalgia.  [I mean, I grew up in a relatively small town in central PA ... but I would never want them to empty out the county jail on a night like tonight just to show some holiday spirit.]  So that statement aside, I think I can really endorse the rest of the sentiment in the song ...

Or, put another way ... Merry Christmas Eve from me and mine to you and yours!

I'M TOO YOUNG FOR BLACK AND WHITE TV IMAGERY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNr-luG1zNQ

No comments:

Post a Comment