December 12, 2013

Random Thought for Thursday 12/12/13

So putting it on the Facebook makes it official, right?  Well then, I am pleased to announce that me and mine are officially becoming Floridians this winter (in fifty days ... in early February).

In my opinion, especially since my address has been in my adopted hometown of Chicago for just over twelve years, such a big announcement deserves a top 12 list.  Without any further ado ... the top 12 reasons my address will change to that of Hollywood/Miami/Ft. Lauderdale in early 2014:

1.)  If I'm going to die young, I'd rather it be from an "act of God" instead of an "act of thug" (the 'hood in Chitown is getting pretty bad with its increase in 'hoods on the streets).
2.)  I'm a fan of drinking ... and the happy hour culture down there is so cheap it is insane!  (I'll make back all the costs of moving within weeks!)
3.)  I've been told I look better "with some color", which is so much easier to get in that climate.
4.)  I can wear a wife-beater ALL THE TIME!
5.)  I want to live somewhere where my vote counts (note:  I know ... I know ... my vote always counts, but in today's fractured political environment, Illinois is kind of a foregone conclusion ... at least Florida is a contested state).
6.)  I've been a remote employee with my company since late 2010, which means I can work anywhere ... so why not in a pool?  I mean, next to a pool!?
7.)  Old people like me (it's probably that "brand" of crotchety old man I've been perfecting).
8.)  Latinos like me too (and being surrounded by Latinos will make me feel more like I'm in my original hometown of Lebanon PA).  They have Latinos in Chicago ... but don't kid yourself ... this urban city is on record as being hella segregated, yo!
9.)  I'm on the back end of my midlife now that I'm in my 40's and so it's about damn time that I sample a little pre-retirement.
10.)  From what I've seen in the news, many Floridians are just plumb crazy ... which means I'll be around my kind.
11.)  I said I would.  It was five years ago in 2008 and I went so far as to quit my job (back then, I wasn't a remote employee) and head down there to get things arranged and that's when I found out that the Great Recession had hit them first and hardest, and so plans were changed.  Now I can be a man of my words again.
12.)  I get to launch another countdown on the blog (I sure do love a countdown).  Beginning in just moments, and for every day of the fifty remaining until the big move, I'll get to post something in the "50 Things I'll Miss About Chicago".

TIME TO DO MY HOMEWORK:
http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=40

ALSO TIME TO DO MY HOMEWORK:
http://www.salon.com/2013/07/26/5_reasons_why_florida_is_the_weirdest_state_ever_partner/

CHITOWN'S SEGREGATION MAPPED OUT:
http://voices.suntimes.com/early-and-often/new-map-demonstrates-chicagos-segregation-person-by-person/




No comments:

Post a Comment