December 14, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 12/14/13

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... we have all gone soft.

In a world where anti-bacterial soap has created a generation of children who can get deathly ill at the drop of a germ (Guess what -- I ate dirt when I was little.  And I liked it.  And ... here's the kicker ... it made me healthier!) ... and where everyone who participates is automatically a winner just for trying (ribbons for everyone in this generation of whiners ... I mean winners!) ... I have now reached my limit.

For sale, as pictured, 40 "fake" snowballs at 29.99 for an "indoor snowball fight".  I'm not as much worried about the $.75 cost per snowfluff (although, let's not forget that real snowballs are FREE), I'm more disgusted with the underlying lesson that everything is available for a cost ... and that nothing is worth waiting for ... and that you needn't go outside any longer.

When I was little ... or, more accurately, when I was younger ... you couldn't have a snowball fight any time you wanted to.  You had to wait.  For winter.  For it to snow.  For the snow to be just right in its "packability".  Plus, you had to make each one yourself -- they didn't magically appear pre-made.  And when you threw them, you can rest assured that they had more of an effect on the other person than being tickled by a giant cotton ball.  They were cold.  They might have stung a little.  And you know what -- you knew you were alive.

Damn these kids nowadays.  They are ruining everything.  And get off my lawn!  (Oops ... got carried away there ... I rent a second story apartment, so I don't technically have a lawn.  But you get my point.)

THE DOWNFALL OF CIVILIZATION (AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE):
http://www.snowtimeanytime.com/

NO ONE WINS WHEN EVERYONE WINS:
http://articles.courant.com/2010-04-28/news/hc-gary-everybody-wins-first-pl.artapr28_1_big-contest-first-place-ribbon-new-discoveries

ARRRRGH!  AND NOW IT'S A VIRTUAL EXPERIENCE!:
https://www.facebook.com/SnowBallFightWinterGame

 

No comments:

Post a Comment