December 17, 2013

Bonus Post (Gbye Chicago): Thing 45

50 Things I'll Miss About Chicago -->

Thing 45:

Hunkering down to avoid the derechos.

[The bonus series continues ... because I love a countdown ... and because there's only 45 more days left until the big move for me and mine to Florida!]

Heck, I didn't even know what a derecho was until my time in Chicago (for all I knew, that might have been the name of those special Dorito-branded taco shells at the local fancy Mexican restaurant) ... but I can distinctly recall quite a few of them:  trying to calm Demon down in the living room of the first place on Sawyer during one nasty one when the power went out, notifying students at the Kaplan Lincoln Park center when one went through the city and blew out all of the windows at Peggy's Nature Museum on the lakeshore and the one this past summer that caused the evacuation of the Pearl Jam concert at Wrigley (I wasn't lucky enough to be *at* the concert ... but living so close, I got to experience the same derecho AND hear the continuation of the concert hours later into the early hours of the am.)  I'm going to miss those crazy wind storms with the exotic sounding name.

COUNTER:  The accompanying map says it all.  Florida is not derecho prone.  However, I've been told they occasionally experience some pretty hefty hurricanes.  I should probably do some research on that ...

No comments:

Post a Comment