November 3, 2013

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 11/3/13

What Chicago is talking about this week:

How hard it is to be in the IT industry.

Sure, the rest of you can have your opinion over a certain website that has over-promised and under-delivered on a national scale, that was taken down last night for some "heavy maintenance", and that may or may not be a key part of a plan to be a savior to a people uninsured ...

... but here in Chitown, it's the computer programming drama over the Ventra card that has the locals all a-twitter (pun mostly intended).  I've yet to get one, but I've also been working from home since late 2010, and I'm lucky enough to have a car in the city for the longer trips, and I'm grateful to have just about everything I could need in the 'hood within a 60 minute walk (and, guess what, I'm conveniently walking for sixty minutes each day on my lunch break, as I slowly rework my routines to shed some middle age pounds).  Here's hoping by the time I get back on the CTA with any kind of regularity, those issues will be resolved.

All in all, though, both bits of news just make me a little happy that the extent of my computer skills consisted of learning a little Pascal in high school (I've never used that ... but it was a logic based system, so it did inadvertently prep me for law school a decade or so later) and being able to make "my name is Troy" run across the screen non-stop using BASIC language.  Surely someone out there can swoop in and code these problems into oblivion, no?

HEAVY MAINTENANCE PERFORMED LAST NIGHT:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/31/us-usa-healthcare-surge-idUSBRE99U16R20131031

A LITANY OF CONCERNS FOR THE CTA TO CONTINUE TO ADDRESS:
http://www.chicagonow.com/cta-tattler/2013/09/ventra-card-problems-how-the-cta-is-responding/

EXPAND THIS LIST OF 10 TO INCLUDE THESE 2 JOBS?:
http://waag.org/en/news/10-worst-jobs-it


No comments:

Post a Comment