November 2, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 11/2/13

I don't mean to go off on a rave here, but ...

... and let me first back up and say that I'm planning on jumping on the Month of Thanks Facebook phenomenon (and, let's face it, that's not a bad bandwagon to be a part of), BUT I'm going to tweak it to make it my own.

So, whereas I normally do one rave a month to somewhat balance out my usual rants, and to give my inner child a chance to "check" the crotchety old man I will one day fully embrace (hey, everyone needs a brand ...), for the month of November, I'm going to rave every Saturday until I get all this thankfulness out of my system.

To whit, i.e. to kick things off ... this week, I am thankful for ...

Traditions.  They can be little routines in life, or recurring special events, or something as simple as that which is said each night before falling to sleep.  I'm not talking about the things that take over OCD-wise (although checking the front door knob on the way in to bed each night to make sure it's locked, is the right kind of OCD behavior, I would say) ... but that which gives us something about which to be excited, and which propels us through this life ... those are the things for which I'm quite thankful, especially when those traditions involve loved ones.

Homecomings.  Whether I'm rolling up into somewhere in Lebanon County, or passing through Uniontown PA, or walking along the Susquehanna river front in Harrisburg, or crossing the Skyway and seeing the Chicago skyline ahead of me, home is wherever I've laid my hat ('cause I'm such a rolling stone) ... and coming home to any of those spots always makes me thankful for all that happened to me and I'm overwhelmed in a good way with all the memories that rush back when I'm in those locations.

Ancestry.  Look, there's a lot of nature vs nurture specifically relevant to my past.  But, despite my rebellion against those blood connections and those with whom they "dallied" who would have traditionally been charged with raising me, as I get older, I do so embrace my Prussian past, with an obvious apology for Kaiser Wilhelm and his involvement in the Great War.  I'm thankful for my stubbornness and sense of order ... and I only wish my face had more noses so that I could cut them off and embrace more spite as well.

More of my kind of thanks next week!

CHECK YOURSELF REGARDING YOUR OCD-NESS:
http://psychcentral.com/ocdquiz.htm

A BRIEF BRIEF BRIEF HISTORY OF MY PEOPLE:
http://www.kolpack.com/packnet/prussia.html

MAMA I'M COMING HOME:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rSBgfXoIPo


No comments:

Post a Comment