November 22, 2013

Random Flashback for Friday 11/22/13

I know ... I know ... when it comes to these flashbacks on Friday, it's been the Smokey show all month (and there's still one more coming next week).

But hey, 20 years ago during the fall semester at LVC in 1993, Smokey, the kitty that was living in our dorm room (all illegal alien style), was a big big part of my college life (well, that and going to class and stuff).

Over any break in my schedule around lunch time, I used to grab her and jump in the car and head down to the little playground next to the Annville Cleona Pool, so that she could run around (a dorm room is a small place in which to live, whether human or animal).  This particular photo is poignant because it was taken just before her vet appointment to have the last bone on each of her front toes amputated (PS ... you may have already figured this out, but post-Smokey, I never approved said surgery again for any cats that came into my life).

Ah yes ... her first and last time climbing a tree, all on the same day ... a bittersweet rite of passage for a kitty and her co-parent (oh yeah, thanks to college living and a very open door policy in our room, Smokey was being raised by the village).

(DISCLAIMER:  the decision as to whether or not to declaw a cat is a personal choice.  I've simply shared mine.)


No comments:

Post a Comment