October 26, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 10/26/13

I don't mean to go off on a (mandated once a month) rave here, but ...

... patience is a virtue and perseverance will be rewarded.

Or, said less cryptically ... remember how last week I was ranting about old age creeping up on me in that I had no idea why I had e-jotted the phrase "I live in CT" in my cell phone app as a possible topic for an upcoming post?  Well -- turns out that the mystery was solved by just keeping it at the forefront of my mind ... and by watching the season finale of "How the States Got Their Shapes" on H2-on-demand.

And it turns out by living in Chicago, I *do* live in Connecticut -- that is I *do* live in erstwhile Connecticut, had it been able to keep its early-US-history western claims (see image).  With that in mind, perhaps I should act a little WASP-ier?

By the way, according to the same series, Pennsylvania and Connecticut once warred (and I grew up in PA, and was educated in PA, and lived for eighteen months in the western PA territory over which they fought, and visited the William Penn-aquin surrounded by multiple stuffed ruffed grouses at the State Museum multiple times, and I never knew that we were battle enemies), and so it looks like I've escaped being a Connecticut-ian twice in my life already.  Who knew?  My mind is blown a little bit with this news.

CHECKING IN ON CT STEREOTYPES SINCE I ALMOST WAS FROM CT (TWICE!):
http://ctboom.com/5-connecticut-stereotypes-that-are-completely-and-utterly-true/

NO ONE EVER TOLD ME ABOUT THIS BRUSH WITH CT WHEN I WAS GROWING UP:
http://www.oocities.org/athens/acropolis/2691/pyw.html

STUFFED RUFFED GROUSES (MAKES ME HOMESICK FOR PA A LITTLE):
http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Pennsylvania/Bird_Ruffed_Grouse.html

No comments:

Post a Comment