September 24, 2013

Random Tune for Tuesday 9/24/13

Seven weeks into my P Jam Jam countdown, and that means I'm up to the seventh studio album -- "Riot Act".

Choosing a tune to feature tonight was a harder task for me than I expected -- and not for the usual reason in that I often have strong connections to every track.  It turns out this may be the full length album that I've listened to the least, just as a factor of the timing of its release and my life in Chicago, which is where I was in 2002 when album came out.

Sure I know the post 9/11 Dixie Chicks moment that sometimes gets the band in trouble for speaking out (illustrated by the powerful indictment of "born on third, thinks he got a triple" featured in "Bu$hleaguer"), and the pure musicality of "1/2 Full" puts the jam back in Pearl Jam ... but when it comes down to it, the song I know the most is the song released from the album that charted the highest:  "I Am Mine".

Melancholy but yet triumphant, (attributed to be referencing the fact that people can survive tragedy, as in the Roskilde Festival deaths of nine at one of their concerts), it includes these words that have become an empowerment creed for many:

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in between is mine
I am mine"

AND this poetic description for survivors of any kind:

"The ocean is full 'cause everyone's crying
The full moon is looking for friends at hightide
The sorrow grows bigger when the sorrow's denied
I only know my mind
I am mine"

LIGHTNING BOLT ARRIVES in JUST 3 WEEKS!

ARE YOU YOURS?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkgv3LoQY2o


No comments:

Post a Comment