September 23, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 9/23/13

Gone but not forgotten:  the food pyramid I learned when I was younger.

Actually, I guess I could say that any and all food pyramids are gone now, since research for tonight's post shows that the rainbow contraption in the accompanying image only existed from 2005 -2011 and has since been simplified as a plate (see link below).

Nothing makes me feel older than having to re-learn things I learned in school that seemed too basic to ever be replaced.  For instance, Pluto's status as a planet, the fact that I had just four kinds of taste buds (well hello there, umami), and the guidance to mirror my food intake to a simple basic pyramid including just four categories.

I've only just begun my personal weigh-loss journey (baby steps ... right now just changing routines more than anything), and I'm not yet prepared to give up bacon, but the idea that I could rely on pyramids of my youth to get my nutritional needs more aligned with the plan for the weeks (and months) ahead of me through use of simple images, I can state that those simple images (sorry, the plate doesn't work for me) are sorely missed.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF FOOD GUIDES:
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/downloads/MyPlate/ABriefHistoryOfUSDAFoodGuides.pdf

THE LATEST VERSION TO REPLACE THE PYRAMIDS:
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

IN CASE YOU DON'T WATCH FOOD BASED COMPETITION REALITY AS I DO:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15819485



No comments:

Post a Comment