September 10, 2013

Random Tune for Tuesday 9/10/13

Five weeks in ... and five weeks to go ... which makes this the midway point of my PJam Jam counting down until the band's next release on Oct 15th ... and that also means I'm choosing tonight's random tune from the fifth studio album "Yield".

It's still the reason I'll sometimes quickly say 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4 (so as not to appear too crazy, I'll try to only do it when I notice the clock says 12:34) ... or why I want to just scream out "Like Pilate, I have a dog!" just for the heck of it ... or to announce that "I'm the first mammal to make plans, yeah"!

Those more random non-sequiturs aside, there's poetry on display (and I'm not just talking about the kind that finds a way to rhyme static with attic and sciatic nerve) ... but the kind that explores heaven and hell and the core of existentialism before giving in to it all and "like a cloud dropping rain ... discarding all thought".  And as a reward to kids who buy full albums and not just selective tracks electronically, there's also the bonus song that comes off like some kind of cossack harem party (go ahead, listen to it again and try not to picture such a scene).

Although I'm tempted to pick "In Hiding" or "All Those Yesterdays" as they represented that time in my life (I was working the overnight shift at the Quality Inn in Lebanon PA, and "In Hiding" summarized the ways I was spending all my daylight hours [3rd shift can do a number on your body and your brain] ... and "All Those Yesterdays" gave me permission to just shut everything out and escape as I went through some rougher times), instead, the tune for tonight that speaks (and spoke) the most to me is "Wishlist".  To me, it captures the beauty (and melancholy) of the fact that humans will always disappoint each other.  The subtext -- I wish to be what I can never be -- but so wistfully and eloquently communicated in phrases like the ones below ...

I wish I was a sentimental ornament you hung on the Christmas tree ...
I wish I was a messenger and all the news was good ...
I wish I was the pedal brake that you depended on ...
I wish I was the verb "to trust" and never let you down ...

LIGHTING BOLT ARRIVES in JUST FIVE WEEKS!

I WISH ... I WISH ... I WISH ... :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THnabGK7mPs


No comments:

Post a Comment