August 13, 2013

Random Tune for Tuesday 8/13/13

I've got a bunch of series going on, so why not one more ... every Thursday in August I'm Pivot-ing myself ... and every Friday in August I'm flashing back to *the* social event of the summer (... of 1993 -- my sister's wedding) ... and, starting today, every Tuesday for the next ten of them -- until the Lightning Bolt strikes on 10.15 -- my random tuneage will be from the Pearl Jam collection -- a P Jam Jam, if you will.

Here are the disclaimers (thankfully, this will not be as long as the fan club's list of rules when it comes to awarding tickets to those of us who belong to that exclusive group when it comes to tour dates):  this is not a collection of favorites (because, really, with so much quality, can you even choose favorites -- that would be a little Sophie's choice-ish, no?) ... it's also not a "best of" list, nor a top ten -- there's no ranking involved, no *this* is better than *that*, etc., because, as a loyalist, I can find value in every song.

Instead, it will be one song (at least) each week as taken from each of the previous studio albums in the order they were released ... all in anticipation of the one that is arriving when this occasional series ends.  Tonight, I'll twist the rules even more, and designate the TEN song (again, that's not number ten -- that's from the studio album TEN) as "Dirty Frank" (eligible under my rules as it was included on the overseas version of TEN).

Sure, I could have chosen any of the other angst filled, pain laden, loneliness blackened other tracks from P Jam's "debut" -- but I want to kick this series off with a classic darkly twisted song that shows the funnier side of P Jam (well, if gently mocking their tour bus driver by making him into a serial killer a la Dahmer is "funny").  Note the homage to Red Hot Chili Peppers in the actual music of the tune (as they were touring with them at the time), and the shout-out to Shaft that punctuates the "message" -- and scream along with me at the funniest part -- "Lose weight ... Be safe -- Where's Mike McCready? -- MY GOD, HE'S BEEN ATE!"

LIGHTNING BOLT arrives IN JUST 9 WEEKS!

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!  HEY -- I'M JUST TALKING ABOUT DIRTY FRANK!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Nh6DurMJ8


No comments:

Post a Comment