August 12, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 8/12/13

Gone but not forgotten:  fruit roll-ups.

I should immediately qualify -- they are not gone forever, not wiped from the earth, not banished to another country -- it's just that they are gone and have been gone from *my* diet for many many years.

[Note -- I'd gladly ingest them again if they were used to make little edible books like the image shows (and like in the link provided).]

I take my fruit now without it being flattened and processed -- but I am reminded that it once was de rigueur when it came to my school lunches back in the day (apparently, it came to market in 1980 -- when I was eight years old and a target customer -- and no doubt it was "an invention" because of the space shuttle, as were so many developments of that time) every time one of these competition cooking shows throws a twist in and makes the cheftestants do something with "fruit leather" (I'm guessing fruit roll-up is a name brand that's copyrighted ... so maybe I shouldn't be saying it in my post as I am?)

Chewy bits of sugar with just a touch of fruit (or artificial fruit flavoring ... or whatever it is that makes it what it is) ... when it comes to what I eat, you are missed.

GETTIN' ALL CREATIVE WITH THE FRUIT LEATHER:
http://www.hungryhappenings.com/2011/05/how-to-create-school-books-using-corn.html

INGREDIENT NUMBER ONE IS ... SUGAR!:
http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/05/05/reminder-fruit-rollups-are-not-fruit-nutrition-impostor/

OOOH ... A LAWSUIT OVER THEM MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN FILED:
http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/05/05/reminder-fruit-rollups-are-not-fruit-nutrition-impostor/


No comments:

Post a Comment