August 16, 2013

Random Flashback for Friday 8/16/13

So ... if you are connected to me on Facebook, then you know that I cheated this week and provided TWO pics flashing back to this event from this week twenty years ago ... as I changed my cover photo to be the wedding photo of the bride and her mother surrounded by all of her mother's kids (which is the awkward way to say it's a shot of "my maternal sisters and I and our moms" -- which, in turn, is the awkward way to imply that I have a different set of paternal siblings, which I actually do) ... and as I am now also including *this* classic part of the day just before we started throwing things at the bride.

Or, maybe, in 1993, that was around the time when throwing things at the bride was frowned upon because of the damage it did to the local birdfolk ... or because throwing things at the bride, even if traditional, seemed a little mean-spirited.  I don't have any pictures immediately *after* this moment when bride and groom left the church, and my memory just doesn't serve as to whether we had rice or popcorn or bubbles at this point in the ceremony.

Regardless -- after an emotional day when I got to proudly give her away in my father's stead (that generation that bore us kind of put the fun in dysfunctional, if you know what I mean) ... it's this happy moment (which, contrary to my aforementioned memory problems, I think was a bit of sun shining after a drizzly start to the day) to which I'll  hearken back tonight.  Presenting ... my sister and her husband ... Mr. and Mrs. Joe G ...

(Apparently, the traditional gifts for this occasion are China or Platinum, but a five week long remembrance on Facebook and the internet will have to suffice ...)

So Happy Happy 20th Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment