July 24, 2013

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 7/24/13

Masculine Head Nod.

As featured in an excerpt from my ongoing Lorem Ipsum short story (Chapter 3 has been added to the photo album version on Facebook and to the link on the right hand menu of this blog that takes the reader to the completed chapters -- 4 and 5 are also finished and will be added soon):

"If only I had chosen a different major, I would have loved to explore the masculine communication method known as the head nod -- not to sound all sexist -- but just to recognize that the male gender, over time, seems to have taken that motion and perfected it to nonverbally message so much to the person at whom he was nodding.  Actual translation, of course, is always dependent on three factors -- the contextual situation,  the level of familiarity between nodder and noddee and whether the nod itself occurs by sticking the chin up-and-out or down-and-in.

In this case, I was clearly communicating -- 'Ok, big boy, time for you to step in here and evaluate whether this fool should be thrown out.  Oh -- and I got your back, to the extent that you're twice my size and so would really just need someone to lurk in the background with imaginary lat syndrome.'  By the way, imaginary lat syndrome is the biological phenomenon that results in 'puffed chest', in case you were unaware of the medical definition.

Of course, that's what I *thought* I was communicating.  For all I know, Mario saw the movement and thought that I was twitching and might be someone to watch to make sure I didn't have a seizure.  Without verbal communication and since our level of familiarity was relatively low (he had only served me two drinks so far), one never knows what one is communicating with absolute certainty."

DIRECT LINK TO THE PHOTO ALBUM VERSION:
https://www.facebook.com/troy.neidermyer/media_set?set=a.4256647034768.1073741826.1843633569&type=3

DIRECT LINK TO THE BLOG VERSION:
http://capcognition.blogspot.com/search/label/Lorem%20Ipsum%3A%20%20The%20Aloysius%20Angelasia%20Archives%20COMPLETED%20CHAPTERS

No comments:

Post a Comment