July 22, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 7/22/13

Gone but not forgotten:  the Moo and Oink stores (with their accompanying commercials).

Every time I head down LSD (that's Lakeshore Drive, not a trip courtesy of the hallucinogenic drug) and leave town over the Chicago Skyway, I can't help but get sad when I pass the (now dilapidated) former Moo and Oink store.

Not that I ever shopped there -- I wouldn't know a chitlin if it rose up out of the display case and slapped me silly -- but I did so enjoy my potluck Thanksgiving meal back at TCF when I worked there after first moving to Chicago (oh the soul food that fed my soul that day) ... and I do still get my regular fixin' of collared greens every now and then at Shirly's house.  [I bring those experiences up because I have to think those items were always for sale in these stores.]

Having researched the info for today's post, I discovered that the brand and the logo and the mascots were bought and products are now for sale at some existing grocery stores (and online) -- but until they bring back the great commercials, I won't be entirely satisfied.

Real estate that *still* makes me say "moooooooo and oiiiink" when I pass by it, you are missed.

IT'S HARD TO BEAT THIS COMMERCIAL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz8fTbLjo9c

IT'S LIKE THE STORY OF THE TWINKIES, BUT MORE MEATY:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/14/moo-oink-name-goes-to-highest-bidder-530000/

NOT DEAD YET!:
http://www.moo-oink.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment