July 12, 2013

Random Flashback for Friday 7/12/13

Look closely at this picture.

You will see no technology -- no cell phone (it would still be a year or two before I met DJ -- the first exposure I had to a "bag phone" that he kept in his jeep), no interwebs, no Facebook, no email, no blogger.

What you *will* see is someone practicing the ancient art of letter writing.  Next to me in the sand, that's a pile of correspondence to which I was replying -- and for those of you for whom this concept is foreign, I would have taken my replies and put them in individual envelopes and affixed a stamp (according to the Wiki, one that cost .29 twenty years ago in 1993).  And then the US Postal Service would have delivered them (you may have heard of them -- they are the ones taking Saturdays off later this summer).

Of course, the color of my skin and the shoreline in the background points to the fact that, even on vacations, this guy is happiest writing.  I still take "work" with me when I go away although I don't think I've written a letter in months (maybe even years)!

[And look at me -- I'm tattoo free!  And yes, that's a Thalia/Melpomene Greek Muse gold chain around my neck (this was in the midst of my full blown theatrical phase).]

No comments:

Post a Comment