June 17, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 6/17/13

Gone but not forgotten:  time spent watching the Emmy award winning (again) Days of Our Lives.

I will admit to feeling a little guilty, seeing Days win its second ever Outstanding Drama Series Emmy this weekend, and knowing that I haven't been watching it since mid April 2012 (shhh ... nobody tell Kristi H!).  I knew of Days since high school (my step-sister was a fan), but I adopted it as my own guilty pleasure the summer after I graduated (thanks to Wendy W) ... and kept it up all through college and beyond (even arranging my class schedule around that hour).  Then it became something I shared with my adopted grandmother JoAnn D in Uniontown ... and with the aforementioned Kristi ... and it even worked its way into one of my audience participation murder mysteries (one that was overly meta -- with me playing me, who woke up from being hit on the head thinking he was the Days character John Black, back when he was John Black and not Roman or the Pawn or Forrest Alamain or Father John).

What killed it for me -- the DVR only has so much space on it (classic VCR tapes were much more permanent and allowed me to get as backed up as I wanted to be without much consequence), and my television addiction makes me make real choices (of the Sophie's variety).  Then I found out I could catch in on the NBC website -- but, alas, only for an even more limited time.  As much as I like to think I'm open to consuming media in modern ways, I just haven't quite embraced watching TV shows on the laptop, so I've been Days-less for over a year.

All you folks in Salem, at least until I find way to put you back into my routine and get your sands moving through my hourglass again, you are missed (but congrats on your Emmy all the same!)

A DAYTIME EMMY AWARDS RECAP:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/40th-daytime-emmy-awards-2013-winners/

A JOHN BLACK RECAP:
http://soapcentral.com/days/whoswho/john.php

A DAYS OF OUR LIVES RECAP:
http://www.nbc.com/days-of-our-lives/






No comments:

Post a Comment