May 22, 2013

Random Wordplay for Wednesday 5/22/13

Fortnight is my favourite kind of night!

Used in a sentence:  "I love me the two week period known as a fortnight -- I would go so far as to say that a fortnight is my favourite kind of night!"

My co-workers caught me in the act the other day, as I love to slip the measurement of time known as a fortnight into any conversations that I can.  I'm not entirely sure why I'm drawn to two-weeks-at-a-time, but I just think that it's the best way to measure a year -- 26 equal increments in which to finish tasks or complete projects.  It's just long enough to pause and reflect on what has come before, but not too long that it seems burdensome.

Of course I have another theory -- it just might be that, after opening my student loan statements every so often, I conclude that I paid a pretty penny to be a tad pretentious on occasion (which would also explain why I slip favourite and colour and theatre into my writings every now and then as if I had that fake Madonna accent or was channeling one of Ms. Minaj's multiple personalities that were on display this last season of Idol).  If a quarter million (and growing) dollars doesn't permit me a few literary oddities, then I'm not sure what does.

HOW FORTNIGHT CAME ABOUT, SAYETH THIS INTERNET SITE:
http://www.backroadstouring.co.uk/phraseorigins.php

COUNT ME IN FOR MY FAIR SHARE OF THE ONE TRILLION:
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/12/by-the-way-total-student-debt-now-topping-one-trillion-dollars/

PEOPLE GOT OPINIONS ON AMERICANS WRITING "ENGLISH":
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-confidential-cafe/288599-american-vs-british-spelling.html

No comments:

Post a Comment