May 23, 2013

Random Thought for Thursday 5/23/13

I may *watch* a lot of shows that have Chef in the title (Top Chef, Next Iron Chef, MasterChef, Top Chef Masters, MasterChef Juniors, Top Chef Just Desserts, etc., etc.), but nothing reinforces the idea that I should not be in the kitchen more than my interactions with a butcher block (that -- plus I really really really relate to the late Phil Hartman's anal retentive chef when I do anything in that room of the apartment).

Meaning -- I always grab the wrong knife for the job.  I've buttered bread with a butcher knife ... and cut up chicken with a serrated bread knife ... and attempted to core and slice an apple with a fillet knife.

As a matter of fact, it was just that experience (when my digits were in grave danger) that led to the purchase of this item featured in the photo.

I will admit that, to me, many things I find in the kitchen gadget aisle seem to be less about innovation and more about sheer laziness, but I won't bad mouth this thingie that allows me to keep me from getting self-inflicted knife wounds.  Without it, an apple a day (sliced the old way), would likely have invited the doctor to my abode instead of keeping him or her away.  I recommend it for others in my situation!

KNIFE USE IN THE KITCHEN (A PRIMER):
http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Cutting-edges-A-quick-course-on-kitchen-knives-2754119.php

WHAT CAN I SAY ... I RELATE!:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/anal-retentive-chef/n9695/

IT'S WORTH THE INVESTMENT!:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/oxo-good-grips-apple-corer-slicer?ID=19812&cm_mmc=Google_DMA_Home_Electrics_PLA-_-PLA+Home+Brands+-+Electrics_PLA+-+Electrics+-+OXO+-+ship99-_-30628679516_-_-_mkwid_LdhhvQqw|d{device}_30628679516%7C-%7CLdhhvQqw

No comments:

Post a Comment