May 11, 2013

Random Soapbox for Saturday 5/11/13

I don't mean to go off on a rant here, but ...

... dearest cashiers and cashier-ettes and cashiers-in-training:

When I purchase my daily paper (yes, I'm old and crotchety enough to still buy and read a daily paper in its original last-century format), please DO NOT eyeball it and take in all the headlines.  I do not want to take something home that is covered in your eye-funk.

That's MY paper.  Those headlines are for ME.  I should be the FIRST one to read them.  And by the way -- this covers other periodical purchases that I make as well.  Don't you be scanning the cover as you run it past the bar code checker outter thingy.  If you want to read it, buy one your damn self.

This advice to back off goes doubly to the few of you who decide to use my purchase to create small talk.  Like, for instance, that lady at Walgreens the other day who chose to comment on the trial of that Arias lady that was referenced on the front cover.  Because if you do, you are likely to hear me shock you again, as I apparently did when my reply to your comments was "clearly -- she needed to do a better job getting rid of the body".  Which, as you'll recall, did indeed shut you up.  And I can handle the quizzical look you gave me as I walked away.  I'm used to it.  I embrace it.  You can quizzical me all day -- I'm fine with it.

Thanks in advance for changing your behavior and for spreading the word throughout your industry on my behalf.

AN EXPLANATION OF THE INDUSTRY (WITH PICTURES!):
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-cashier.htm#slideshow

OH COME ON -- YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO KNOW:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/shocking-moments-jodi-arias-trial/story?id=19135206

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON OTHER FORMS OF LITERARY VOYEURISM:
http://bookriot.com/2012/08/22/a-pox-on-over-the-shoulder-readers/


No comments:

Post a Comment