April 8, 2013

Random Memorial for Monday 4/8/13

Gone but not forgotten:  relative peace and quiet in the 'hood.

And let me start by saying -- I'm not complaining.  I choose to live in this neighborhood, and so it would be disingenuous at best for me to bitch and moan about the 40,000 extra folks that descend here on game days -- and yes, today was the home season opener, and this photo is one I took to demonstrate the proximity of the apartment building where I live (at Waveland and Wilton) to good old Wrigley.

I don't recall if this is year 2 or year 3 of our building year (and who knew, that when "building" years were thrown out as a concept a ways back, that including "building" a parking garage and a hotel and a retail complex and a digital scoreboard big enough to be seen by Cubs fans riding in the International Space Station ...), but here's hoping for a more exciting season than last year.  (Although losing over a 100 games counts as "excitement" of a certain kind, I guess).

So -- again -- not complaining, but more like just observing that, for the next few months, when the windows are open to catch the breeze, I'll also be catching me some seventh inning stretch singin' and some drunken hootin' and hollerin' and some old fashioned organ playin' and some "go cubs go" yellin' (except on the night of July 19th, where, if the Gods are smiling down on me and the wind is blowing from the west, I'll be listenin' to some rockin' and rollin' in the key of some PJam).

(Mostly) silence from just under a block away, you will be (mostly) missed in the months ahead (but I wouldn't necessarily be so mad if you stayed away through an actual post-season, instead of returning so early in October as in years past).

JUST ME AND MY 40000 FRIENDS A BLOCK AWAY:
http://espn.go.com/travel/stadium/_/s/mlb/id/16/wrigley-field

EVEN NPR IS ON TOP OF THIS CONTROVERSY:
http://www.npr.org/2013/04/05/176368265/a-battle-for-rooftop-views-near-chicagos-wrigley-field

IT'S PROBABLY A DICKISH MOVE ON MY PART TO BRING THIS UP TODAY:
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/history/postseason_results.jsp

No comments:

Post a Comment