April 7, 2013

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 4/7/13

What Indianapolis is talking about this week (I'm wrapping up my spring break getaway weekend, an "appetizer" of a trip before I return back to Florida for the real thing later this month):

Pinewood Derby Days at the State Museum.

What a flashback to walk into the lobby at the State Museum in Indy this weekend to see their version of running this classic race. But they do it big there -- a track that starts on the second floor!

I wasn't a cub scout for very long when I was little (I think I stopped before I became something they called a Webelo -- the one after the yellow bandanna --a light blue one -- which they wore around their necks and not in the back right or left pocket as some adults in the nearby 'hood) but I can remember doing one of these on a much smaller scale, maybe in the Lebanon Valley Mall?

As probably happens a lot, my father made mine.  We missed the opportunity to use it as a bonding experience -- partly because wood working was his hobby of choice so it was right up his alley and mostly because he wasn't exactly the bonding type.  Regardless, I just have to say that, as a child, I would have much rather raced it in Indiana, judging from this set up (see more photos below)!

OOPS, I WAS A WEBELOS NOT A WEBELO:
http://www.scoutinsignia.com/webelos.htm

125 FEET OF RACING TRACK TWO STORIES HIGH!:
http://www.indianamuseum.org/visit/events/eventview.asp?eventid=2807

ACTUAL SURVEY QUESTIONS BEING ASKED OF SCOUT LEADERS THIS SPRING:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/14/nation/la-na-boy-scout-survey-20130314




No comments:

Post a Comment