February 7, 2013

Random Thought for Thursday 2/7/13

It's time for a new pet.

It will be coming up on five years since Demon (the American Staffordshire pit bull) passed, so a dog seems like the natural choice -- but this city apartment is just too small.  I know this will sound breedist, but I just don't want to go with a small dog (a miniature, or a toy, or a miniature toy something or other to get the doubly diminutive dogs that are all the rage).  I've always thought that a dog needs to be bigger than a cat to be a real dog.

Speaking of cats, that might be a choice -- except that the house has gone from 4 cats to 3 cats in 2010 and 3 cats to 2 cats in 2012, so I know this will sound ageist, but adding another so soon would put me back up in the running for the "old cat lady" stereotype.  And I can't even "adopt" alley stray cats and their offspring, as I did in Logan Square when I first moved here in 2001, because there aren't any in this 'hood (and I know this will sound racist, but we have a high density of a certain type of restaurant -- which I'm sure is coincidence and not causation of any kind).

Ferret?  Turtle?  Been there, done that.  Parrot?  I'd have to update my will, as, at this point, that animal would probably outlive me.

So instead -- I'm thinking ants.  Namely driver ants.  And here's why.  I know that a lot of people are oddly entranced by the end of the world (you might count me as one of them, and you might check out my 100 Things I've Always Wanted To Say But Never Did And Now Maybe Should Since The World Might Be Ending series from last year any time on the blog by clicking the link on the right hand archive library), and although the Mayan end of world has come and gone, there's still man-made catastrophe, nature's fury and zombies about which we should all be worried in these modern times.  Apparently, in a post-apocalyptic world, these ants can be used in place of surgical stitches (let them bite you, and then break off the rest of the body behind the head and they'll do the trick, as the video below shows).

That seems like a pet-investment (but maybe I won't name them in case I have to use their jaws -- and only their jaws -- at a later time).

ANT JAWS AS REPLACEMENT FOR STITCHES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK65_PpEVzA

I'M NOT USUALLY A BREEDIST, BUT TINY DOGS JUST DON'T INTEREST ME:
http://www.onlydogbreeds.com/groups/size.html

WATCH ANTS AT PLAY -- NO SERIOUSLY, WATCH THEM HERE:
http://www.stevesantfarm.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment