December 1, 2012

Random Soapbox for Saturday 12/1/12

I don't mean to go off on a ... well, I'm not sure if it's a rant or a rave this week ... but it's definitely a soapbox ... so ...

... it's the holidays!  Which means, for some, it's a difficult time of year.  Apparently, it's controversial to suggest that the suicide rate spikes during the holidays (studies seem to debunk the myth) -- but, for sure, there's a "holiday blues" phenomenon particularly for kids who have no home or who aren't welcome in the home that they have ... during a time when folks gather together with loved ones.

As such, it's with a sense of purpose that I highlight the suicide prevention hotline "The Trevor Project" as the designated charity for the last month of my 2012 birthday project [I have new ideas for 2013!]. So I'll be donating $1.00 in the name of every one of my Facebook connections who has a December birthday (and who makes his or her birthday public).  And I encourage you that if you come into contact with a teen or young adult who exhibits the signs spelled out at the link below, please suggest that they get help from the counselors waiting at 1-866-488-7386.

APPARENTLY, SPRING AND SUMMER ARE ACTUALLY WORSE THAN THE HOLIDAYS:
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/NewsDetails.aspx?myId=470

WARNING SIGNS OF SUICIDE:
http://www.thetrevorproject.org/suicide-resources/warning-signs

OR ... THE GOVERNMENT'S TAKE ON SUICIDE PREVENTION:
http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/overview/strategicdirections.html




No comments:

Post a Comment