November 12, 2012

Random Memorial for Monday 11/12/12

Gone but not forgotten:  The Black Market.

This post has to start with a preface -- I recognize that I don't check off many of the boxes for the disadvantaged groups affiliated with race or gender (yep I'm mostly a white guy with ancestry that is truly "American mongrel" -- on my dad's side as far back as Prussia and on my mom's side with English and just a touch of Native American to give me a slightly ethnic look if photographed right) and I will freely admit that it took work colleagues to inform me that I can no longer order Oriental food (a descriptive word now just reserved for rugs and history, in case you're as uninformed as I was).

But I was still taken aback when I saw a headline recently talking about the price of a ticket to a basketball game on the "secondary market".  I originally thought that was a nod to political correctness and/or sensitivity (depending on which side of that debate you fall) and that the concept "black market" was going the way of words that should no longer be said in polite (or mixed) company.  Just a little bit of research has now edified me to the concept of a "secondary market" as an acceptable term to use for ticket-resale (or the resale of other items in a legal manner).  I think the confusion sprung from the fact that I'm used to hearing "ya need tickets?" over and over again outside of my apartment window here in the shadows of Wrigley Field, and so I immediately jumped to the conclusion that the article must have been naming something sold in that illegal market.

"Illegal market" -- I think that's what I'll say henceforth, as no color descriptor is then needed, which will mean that I can't get into any trouble.  So -- my use of "black market", you will not be missed.

SO IT'S AN OK TERM AFTER ALL FOR TICKET RESALE:
http://www.ticketnews.com/news/understanding-sports-ticket-prices-on-the-secondary-market071208568

BUT APPARENTLY IT'S THE NEXT BIG BUBBLE (AFTER SCHOOL LOANS, I'M SURE):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/secondary-markets-and-the-next-big-fraud/2011/05/31/AGHVXFGH_story.html

LOOKIE HERE -- OTHERS HAVE "DEBATED" THIS AS WELL:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080831204528AAnkwbc

No comments:

Post a Comment