October 21, 2012

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 10/21/12

What Chicago is talking about this week ...

... the flippin' news!

And no ... this is not some commentary on the political race.  [Side note -- I'm beginning to think that I don't have any friends who fall into the undecided category (particularly on Facebook).  I'm just saying -- not a single post surprises me and everything that's said is predictable from each person who posts -- on BOTH sides.  I'm not sure if anyone is hoping to sway anyone else with that which they post -- but I sure do hope that everyone VOTES in just over two weeks.]

Instead, in the modified words of Oscar winners Three Six Mafia, it's just getting hard out here for a news consumer to follow along.  Twice this weekend, I've gotten back to back notices on my phone of contradictory news stories -- Murdoch's going to buy the Trib!  Murdoch's not interested in the Trib!  Iran and the US are meeting for historic one on one talks!  Iran and the US both deny that historic one on one talks are about to happen!  I get that the part time kids are working on the weekend, but come on newsfolk, let's pull it together!

[While thinking about this post this morning -- I confirmed that I am, indeed, living in the Information Age.  Here's how I get my news:  local from the 24 hour cycle of CLTV, local entertainment from Time Out, national from Diane Sawyer if I can catch her, liberal from MSNBC, news-as-entertainment from Fox (they're just so comical in their earnestness) and the SNL weekend update, sports from the headlines-and-pretty-pictures approach of USA Today, weather from the one and only Tom Skilling, national entertainment from a combo of TVGuide/EW/THR, 'hood news from the bar rags and websites that the longer I look at them the more I think they might be racist, celebrity death news from my work group Skype conversation (we're committed to letting each other know when key folks have passed), breaking news (of much variety) from my Facebook wall and 20-30 rapidly passing opening lines from my smart phone news feed (Reuters, I think -- so it has an international flavor ...).  I foresee a day where my head will explode.]

THE OSCAR PERFORMANCE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB1tqACl9Rg

WILL HE BUY THE TRIB?  YES OR NO?:
http://www.mediaite.com/online/rupert-murdoch-eyeing-la-times-chicago-tribune-times-says-yes-news-corp-no/

WILL WE MEET WITH IRAN?  YES OR NO?:
http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/u-s-iran-nuke-talks-on-or-off/

No comments:

Post a Comment